Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Lonely Roadeo

Instead of a complete and total ride report from start to finish, I'll jump around a little a let the pics do most of the talking. This last trip of the year I have dubbed....The Lonely Roadeo. I left KC on Monday before 7:30am, headed for Mountain View. But first a quick stop off at the bank to take out a little cash. Tightwad Bank. Priceless.

The next two pics are of Noblett Lake and Dam in Missouri. Joe, Jody and I passed this little lake back in the spring but didn't actually stop. I stopped this time and took a few pics. The dam was built back in 1938 to 1940 - part of the Public Works program. The sign talked about how long it took them with THREE whole mixers working full time. It's a nice, quiet spot WELL off the beaten path.


This next pic was taken along HWY341 - Push Mountain Road. I was almost to Mt.View, making good time, when I spotted this little gem sitting off on the side of the road. Not sure if you guys are familiar with this bike, but it's a full-time two-wheel drive. The wheels are hollow for storing fuel or water. Very cool. The Rokon Trail Breaker.

This next pic was taken at Bayou Bluff campground on the lower leg of HWY27 in Arkansas. A very pretty spot as well.

This pic of the ZRX on a bridge was taken on the upper part of HWY27, just south of Marshall. I was a wee bit hesitant parking the bike on the bridge considering all the missing boards and the rotting wood. The first time I put the kickstand down, the steel dug right through the wood. I pulled up and planted the kickstand on a knot and took some pics. If you go to the Photobucket location where are the other pics are hosted, you'll see a pic of where my kickstand dug into the wood.

These next two pics were at a place called "Sam's Loop Trail - Chicken Head Wall access." Believe it or not, this incredible spot is located on HWY123, just south of the crazy switchbacks coming out of Mount Judea. There isn't even a sign. I just saw a pull-off and drove back on gravel about 200 yards and there is this place that we've all passed at least a dozen times over the years. It's maybe a 5-minute walk and you're treated to some of the most amazing vistas in the area. I think I stumbled upon it because - with no leaves on the trees - I figured there had to be some way to get out onto this rock outcropping. Take a look at the Photobucket pics.


This last pic is in Missouri. I saw all these bikes and saw a guy working on a bike out in the back, so I had to stop. Just another of the many road-side attractions that I encountered.

Other things slightly worthy of note:
- Here's the ALL the pics:
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/douglaskivett/Lonely%20Roadeo/
Best if you view the pics in Slideshow Mode.
- 1168 miles covered in three days. Two night spent in Mountain View.
- On Monday, I saw a homeless guy pulling a wagon just north of Mountain Home. On Wednesday, I saw him in Yellville pulling the wagon, so I stopped and chatted with him.
- Saw a load of lumber fall from the bed of a pick-up truck in front of me on Push Mountain Road. Luckily missed all of it.
- One kamikaze pass that scared me, the car I was passing, and the car I almost hit head on.
- On Tuesday, after a long day of riding, a guy approached me as I pulled into Subway there in Mountain View. He was from the OA...wanted to know if I was on the board. Board name is "Tattoo13" and he lives in Melbourne on HWY9. Works there in Mountain View.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Pics-Lonely but worth every minute!!Blazing a trail for the next ball-buster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trip report, nice pix to back it up. Douglas, you missed your calling. If you could only make a buck having fun with your excursions.

    ReplyDelete