Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Appalachian Mountains

Here's the route I took Tuesday. If they look twisty from this distance, zoom in on them and it gets even better.

Most people know the Smoky Mountains as Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Air brush t-shirts, go-cart tracks, water boggans, Dollywood, and buttloads of congested traffic that makes Branson look like a ghost town. However, if you get just slightly off the beaten path, and I mean just slightly, there's a smorgasbord of absolutely delectable roads in this part of the world.

The pic above is a crude stitch together of two pictures I took sitting in one spot shooting one corner and then the other. Highway 32 between Cosby, TN and Waterville, NC is absolutely ridiculous. And like some of the best AR roads, it goes no where. It ends in a gravel road at the Appalachian trail. I passed maybe 2 cars on that road and then took the gravel road for another 15 miles or so.


I called Chuck last night and was talking to him about it. Would be worth whatever it takes to get the bikes here....just shy of disassembling the Rex and bringing it in the Corobra.
If you look at those pics I sent, there are just tons and tons and tons of twisty roads on the map. It's insane. And there are tons of little connecting roads. Everything I was on yesterday was similar to HWY 9....but.....and I know you're going to do a collective spit take on your computer screens....better than HWY9. I said it and I mean it. Some a little tighter, like the switchbacks on HWY74 between Ponca and Mt.Sherman.

3 comments:

  1. Good news. Looks like the off roading I did in TN is going to cost me $700 in parts and labor. I noticed the Corobra was leaking oil, so I dropped it off at the shop last night. I dented the smaller of the two oil pans, which broke the seal and started a leak. Whole underside of the car is coated now....it's even in the wheel wells. But there's also oil coming from inside the timing chain cover, so they have to get in there and maybe replace one of the seals.

    Famous last words to my mom, who owns a HIGH CLEARANCE Dodge Dakota.....
    "Let's take the Corobra. I get incredible gas mileage."

    ReplyDelete
  2. $700 bux to repair the Corobra.
    An excuse to buy a new car?
    Nay...
    ...a reason to price lift kits for it.

    "Google 'muddin'."
    "Did you mean 'mudding'?"
    "No! No 'g'. M-U-D-D-I-N. No 'g'."

    ReplyDelete
  3. CORRECTION:

    "Google 'muddin'.....what for do we do it?"
    "Did you mean 'mudding'?"
    "No! No 'g'. M-U-D-D-I-N. No 'g'."

    ReplyDelete