Monday, August 10, 2009

Finally!!

Well, I have had my iPhone for almost a week now and am completely disappointed in myself for having put off purchasing one for this long. You guys know I am a techie, love my computers and all of the latest A/V toys but I am not an early adopter of anything. I could bore you with a bunch of reasons why I have put it off for so long but the bottom line is I hate following the crowd and so many people were on the iPhone bandwagon.

Well let me tell you this, there is a reason there are so many people on the apple-cart as they have this smart phone thing figured out and the iPhone is as simple and easy a device to use as I have ever put my hands on. The user interface is intuitive and straight-forward with key user settings only 1 or 2 levels deep, not 6 levels deep like on my Samsung Blackjack! The “touch” interface is exquisite making navigation through the phone just plain fun!

After hammering on this thing for an entire week now, the only two things I see as issues are battery life and the digital keyboard. If hooked up to Wi-Fi, downloading/installing apps, watching YouTube videos and doing a lot of Facebook updates and e-mailing, the battery won’t get you through the day. If used as most regular adults use phones, I imagine 2 days before charging would be possible. As for the keyboard, to keep the form factor slim, Apple chose to go with a digital keyboard on the screen and this will take me some additional time to get used to.

As you have probably heard, the “Apps” are what this phone is all about and this unit has the power to deliver them running at 600 mhz with 256MB of dedicated RAM. For Christ’s sake, I have a running desktop with stats less than that! This power, coupled with an accelerometer and built-in GPS gives you a device that can do essentially anything. There are apps for everything from online banking to blogging to letting you know what’s going on in town to auto performance apps that give you ¼ mile times and horsepower as well as reading/clearing error codes. Anything you can think of and I mean anything!

For those of you wanting to get in on the cheap, the 2nd gen iPhone 3G is still available for $99 if you are eligible for an upgrade and sign a 2-year contract with AT&T. The final point of contention for me in getting the iPhone was that you have no choice but to opt for the $30/month Apple data package in addition to your standard calling plan. For me it wasn’t as big a deal as I already had a $15/month data package for my Samsung, but it was just the idea that AT&T and Apple had me over a barrel on this with no options. Given what I know now, I would do it in a heartbeat even at $30/month as the device is that frakin' convenient. I have just begun to scratch the surface of what this device can do and will keep everyone posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment