Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Rubicon and How to Cross It...

Most of you are probably already aware I had some crazy headshake on decel while at the last rally. I put the bike up on the stand when I got back an could feel a notch in the center. That small "notch" at center was much more noticeable once the front wheel and forks came off tonight. I have acquired all new OEM parts, including parts needed to rebuild the forks. John assured me he would help me with the important stuff. So we have plans to do that on Saturday. It would be a major understatement to say that I am a little intimidated by all of this. It's very odd to have the bike broken so far down. But I'm taking extensive notes, snapping tons of pics and labeling every fricking thing in sight. Mountain View calls.....from across the Rubicon.


3 comments:

  1. At least the bearings look well lubed! Per our conversation, I will be interested to see if the bearing change fixes the head shake and hope you can do that separately from the tire change. You guys have a lot to get through in one day but I know you are in good hands with John providing guidance. Keep us informed how things go and keep the McDonald's coffee flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a lot to tackle in one day, Chuck. I had been thinking about that. Then today I talked to John and decided to wait on the fork oil and seals. I checked for any weeping around the seals and there was none, so they're still good for riding. And I know the oil has been changed at least ONCE in its 33k and 5 years on the road. So I'll do that work some time after we get back from this little quickie. And I do think I'll have plenty enough time to ride the bike before switching out that front tire. But after seeing the dents in the outer races, and after feeling the much more noticeable notch at center with the forks and wheel off, I am pretty convinced I was due for this maintenance. You are an imbecile, Chuck....of that I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can go by are the descriptions I am fed. I believe they were aomething along the lines of; "...an almost imperceptible notch that could only be found after a few minutes of searching..." or something to that effect. In any case, steering head bearing are something I have yet to tackle and will be interested to see how it goes. Good luck on gettg it all done!

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete