Thursday, June 18, 2009

Blind Squirrels...or in this case an alleged "imbecile"

I'm sure you are all on the edge of your seats about how the bike turned out over the past weekend. I went to John's shop on Saturday morning. I've included some pics of the undisclosed location I like to call the Fortress of Solitude. I took the lower triple over there and he ground the bottom bearings off and then used a hydraulic press to put the new ones on. Much better than the "hammer and socket" method I read about on the board. John has everything at his shop. And what he doesn't have, he makes. Bing - bang - boom!!! In the last pic, you can see the tool he has made for pressing the new outer races into the neck of the frame. No energy wasted hurling a 5-pound sledge at your bike.




Did this fix your death wobble, you ask? Unfortunately, it did not. Upon taking the bike out for a test ride, I discovered that the death wobble had morphed into a accelerating death wobble. It was at a much faster tempo and actually built in intensity instead of diminishing in intensity. In a word, it was actually MORE scary than the original Death Wobble of Doom Crashyness. You like that name? Anywho.
At this point, the next logical step....and only remaining suspect, was the front tire. And if you will remember, I had told Chuck I would change the tire AFTER replacing the bearings just to see what actually fixed the Death Wobble of Doom Crashyness and Widow-Making Scariness. Chuck has speculated it was a bad tire all along. Well, after a couple of days of worrying, I finally got the new tire mounted and on the bike. The verdict is......no more Death Wobble of Doom Crashyness and Shit-My-Pants-itude.
I humbly submit my sincere apology to the all-knowing, non-imbecilic Chuck Hickl.

4 comments:

  1. That garage scares me! What is the finish on the walls? Is that faux brick paneling? You just had to ruin the apology with the "all-knowing" part didn't you. Love ya anyways!

    C

    P.S. The Fizzy is a freakin' beast now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's painted cinder block, not paneling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting looking garage. I bet John spends a lot of time out playing in the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's actually his "shop", which is about 5 miles from his home. His garage is pretty cool, but the machine shop is where the serious stuff gets done.

    ReplyDelete